Understanding Self-Guided Bicycle Tours
Posted on: December 1st, 2015 by Bruno
Self-guided tours are independent expeditions, ranging from a day’s journey to a whole week’s travel, created with planned itineraries and accommodations. It is a new form of traveling where you can choose freely your own adventures; decide on possible routes and enjoy each location at your own pace. You can choose to travel with your friends or alone, with your bike as your main companion. Since you will have no personal guide to direct you where to go, it is necessary that you are familiar with reading maps, GPS, and other navigation equipment.
Doing self-guided bicycle tours is a fun way to experience France, Spain, Italy and Switzerland in a whole new light. You get to experience bustling urban areas, as well as the quaint and hidden villages off the beaten path. Ride through serene, forested spots and climb elevations with challenging roads; this form of traveling is perfect for curious, open-minded adventurers and nature lovers.
KNOW WHAT IS REQUIRED OF YOU
Autonomous, self-guided tours are not all about fun—it also allows you to learn a bit more about yourself. Other than introspective moments as you glide along verdant natural landscapes, you will also face different challenges which push your abilities to a higher level.
- Navigation. Most of our self-guided bicycle tours are launched with a briefing by our local guide. You will be given an overview of your itineraries—including directions and safety instructions— but getting there will be completely up to you. It is important that you know how to use maps, for GPS devices are not available for all tours. Always keep in mind, a GPS is an excellent navigating device, but be aware that some areas have weak satellite signals and you may require traditional navigational methods.
- Bike maintenance. Whether you are renting a bike or have brought your own, being familiar with bike maintenance is a must. While we make sure that your bike is in excellent condition before you set off, there are instances where you might be required to fix your vehicle. Whether you need to fix a flat or put a chain back on, a basic knowledge base of bike mechanics can help you get back on the road quickly and proceed on your way with confidence. In the rare case that your bike gets irreparable, you can either ask us to replace the bike, find you a nearest bicycle shop, or have you fetched by a taxi to bring you to your next hotel.
- Communication. Knowing a bit of the local language can help you go through your journey amicably. Approach locals with a friendly attitude and use your basic French book to help you communicate. The proper use of hand gestures can be greatly helpful. Enjoy your journey, make friends, and go through language barriers by understanding some of the local dialect.
- Preparedness with the unfamiliar. The real fun in self-guided tours is that there are always surprises. Routes range from a busy metropolis to a little wine village nestled in the countryside. Savor each moment, dig into each offered plate, and accept every experience with openness. In the events that you took a wrong turn, or have experienced damage in your bike, don’t panic! Take your time to organize everything, and know that you can always call Cyclomundo whenever you find the situation too much for you to handle.
WHAT CYCLOMUNDO CAN DO FOR YOU
You may be heading out on your own during your trip, but you can rest assured that Cyclomundo has your back, wherever you are. Our services are created to make your self-guided journey go as smooth and as conveniently as possible. We take care of everything: from your daily accommodation (breakfast included, and in some avenues, even lunches and dinners!), guides, indicated maps, luggage transfers, and in some cases GPS. Each tour is unique on its own, but we strive to be as comprehensive in our service as possible to cater all of your needs, so you can enjoy your trip without a fuss.
- Tailored itineraries. We customize each tour to suit your pace and thirst for adventure. Whether you’re into extreme biking or interested in more pleasurable traveling, you can count on us to design your self-guided tours inclined to your preferences. Schedule your tours any day of the week, although please note that some trips can only be done on weekends.
- Perfect for bikers of all numbers. It doesn’t matter whether you choose to go alone or by groups; Cyclomundo is all about biking, and we accommodate each enthusiast with great pride, helping you enjoy your European adventure with a customized holiday.
- Accommodations for all budgets. With our network of service providers, we bring you a variety of hospitality choices that will suit your needs. Go for a 4-star hotel, or a quiet village inn; you can count on us to discover exclusive stay-in picks offering quiet spaces with full amenities.
- Food for all. Local cuisines have always been the special highlight of each trip, and we want you to enjoy the best with our range of gourmet destinations. We’ll lead you to the best high-end cuisine restaurants, wineries and street food spots, to give you a healthy helping of the native dishes.
- Luggage transfers included. Bike around without worrying about your bulky suitcases. Leave your luggage at the hotel reception by 9:30 AM, and we’ll deliver it to your next accommodation before 5:00 PM.
- Logistics support. We offer all-around support; in case of bad weather, depending on our logistics, you can take advantage of our luggage transfer shuttle—for free, or else, take a taxi or take the train to the next destination—to be paid directly to the driver.
A Self-guided tour, in itself, is a less-expensive way to travel around the country. The best part: you get to proceed at your own liberty. Imagine the possibilities of uncovering off-beaten paths, picturesque landscapes and friendly locals. Tour around while making great memories in a nature-inspired trip along with your companions!